Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Take on Father’s Day Celebration

I’ts Father’s Day again! Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers, would be fathers and those that play the role of fathers. And of course let me not forget those that did not live long enough to celebrate this.

Below is a short entry I wrote in 2008. The same entry appears in my Multiply site. This is probably one of my most heartfelt and truest in the deepest sense entry as this is about my father and my take on father’s day celebration. Read on and be inspired. :)


Weeks and days after we celebrated Mother's Day and right after stores in malls stripped their Happy Mother's Day banners and décor, the world gets ready again to celebrate Father's Day. That happens exactly a month after Mother's Day. When I sensed it getting nearer I declared that I will never celebrate it. Why should I? My father died seven years ago. There is no sense in celebrating it with a father who has been gone for years now. Every day for weeks I always remind myself not to buy the Sunday newspaper on June 15 because I know articles there are almost all about fathers.

But my decision changed yesterday when I woke up to a dream so surreal that I literally jumped from my bed. I couldn't remember the entire dream, only that part where I wondered why I got a text message from Papa that says "nak,musta na?-papa" It felt so real that I really checked my phone for many times to see if there really was one from Papa. But I know it would never happen. There's no line in heaven, remember. I pondered on it for hours until I realized that maybe it was just a reminder....something to remind me that before I became bitter with father's day celebration it was one of the events I looked forward to every year... when I'll have the excuse to be mushy and say I love you and really mean it to people I care and love so much. Maybe it was a reminder from Papa that even if he can't be with us physically he's just somewhere only he knows....looking at us and watching over us like what a guardian angel does.

So I would like to dedicate this to my Papa. He will never get to read this but I hope my prayer does.


Happy Father's Day, Pa. I love you so much. Miss you big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment