Monday, July 25, 2011

Poor Man's Spaghetti

My sister E and I had poor man's spaghetti for dinner. Haven't had this for a long time. Gaaaaahhh, I missed this although I have to say that this poor man's spaghetti is one of the items on my long laundry list of food.Poor man's spag is palatable,best served with hot steam rice,but I rarely crave for it---because first I don't like the strong smell of canned sardines,second it leaves a strong smell to the cutlery and especially to your mouth that you want to brush your teeth forever and third it reminds me of days when we used to always eat it because we're poor. FYI we are still poor but we now have a lot of options since my siblings and I appreciate veggies now. LOL.

Living away from home is quite stressful for a number of things. One,and I will only be talking about this item since I think this post is getting a lot of side stories,is deciding what to eat or what to cook.So when I asked my sister what she wants to eat, since we always eat what she wants to eat lest I deal with Little Miss Grumpy again, she answered "Sardinas na may Odong!" followed with a big smile. Yes you read it right. Poor man's spaghetti is only sardinas na may odong! I just made it a bit classy. HAHAHA. Gotcha!


By the way, I first heard about the term Poor Man's Spaghetti from my Boy Scouts of the Philippines friends when in 1998,during the peak of our boy scout and girl scout days, I asked them what they prepared and cooked during their training camps. I thought how great their troop masters were because they were allowed to prepare such and how unlucky for us girl scouts because we had vegetable overload.Then came the aka sardinas na may odong.HAHAHAHA.Jukir (Another side story :p)

So as the name suggests, poor man's spaghetti is very affordable and easy to prepare. Here's my sister's recipe:

1 can(155 g) of Seňorita Sardines in Tomato Sauce
2 small packs of El Seňorito Odong Noodle Soup
1 medium size onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of oil


Cut the onion and garlic in whatever you like,we had it in dice.Sauté onion and garlic.Put in the sardines,let it simmer.Throw in the odong and make sure you don't overcook it.You can always throw in up to 5 small packs of odong.

See,easy as 1,2,3. :) And we only spent less than Php 30.00!

We had the perfect dinner,perfect for the windy & rainy night,perfect for the budget. HAHA.

And here's the bonus.

Buyad and Chokolate



P.S. Did you notice the brand names? Laysho!

No comments:

Post a Comment