Thursday, February 2, 2012

DIY Ring Box

I've been going around the city for months now looking for a ring box where I can store my fancy rings and yet I haven't seen one that is for sale.I thought of making my own ring box but I didn't have a smaller box. What I have are shoe boxes that are too big and does not have the aesthetic value for a ring box.

Last Saturday,after we had lunch with our Cebu friends,I tagged along with Bambi and Kylie to their grocery shopping for stuff to bring back to Singapore.The nyors are so generous, they gave me a box of chocolate and a tub of pistachio ice cream .

On Monday,while eating lunch alone,I remembered the box of chocolate that I put in the fridge.I took it out and ate one bar.I realized it was not a good idea to put the chocolate inside the fridge as it becomes so hard to bite into, my teeth are complaining.I transferred them to a glass jar and left the box on the table thinking I could still use or do something about it. When I returned to the kitchen hours after to wash the dishes,I examined the box again and jumped out of excitement with the DIY project thought that came to mind.



That is the right one for my ring box!



Want to see the outcome? Say please! HAHAHA



Here it is,my ring box made from a chocolate box!





Can you see the brand name?Can you guess what chocolate box is that? :)
It's not yet 100% done.I ran out of double-sided tape and I haven't had the time to go out and buy one. :D Nevertheless,I'm already happy the way the DIY turned out.I'm so proud of myself! Naturaaaaal!

Want to know how I did it? Here's how.

1.Have your materials ready first.

2.Measure the height of the box.Cut a paper that is of the same measurement of the height.Set aside.

3.Decide on where you would want to make a cut on the box.Take the measurements,draw a line and slice through it using a cutter.(By this time,the box is cut into two,the top part which would be the cover should be smaller than the bottom part.)

4.Paste the paper(from instruction #2 )on the inner sides of the box.This will help keep the top part/cover of the box from falling.



5.Cover the bottom part of the box with a gift wrapper of your choice.

6.If you want to have a window on your ring box,draw a rectangle and slice through it with a cutter. (I was lucky the box that I used had its top part open so it saved me more time and effort.) If you like to keep your box 'closed' ,then it'll save you time and effort too! :D

7. Once you have the 'window' ,trace and cut an acetate that is bigger than the window's size. Seal the acetate and the box together from the inside with the help of the double-sided tape.

8.Cover the top/cover with the wrapper of your choice.

9.Take the measurement of the styropor.Trace a cutter through it.This is going to be the part of the ring box that will secure the rings. Wrap it with a fabric of your choice or whatever you fancy.I cheated on this part.HAHA.I didn't know how to make it look and function like normal ring boxes do and I was already too tired from figuring it out I wanted it to finish soon.What I did was I covered the styropor with a fabric and traced/sliced through the covered styropor 3 lines that will serve to secure the rings. Good thing I was using a pin-stripe design fabric,so it was easier to 'trace' a line. HAHA.

Materials

box
styropor
acetate
gift wrapper
paper
fabric
double-sided tape
glue
cutter
scissors
ruler
pencil


I hope you learned something from this DIY.I had so much fun from doing it albeit the tedious effort of taking the closest-thing-to-perfect measurements.And,by the way,the box was from my good ol' trusted Cloud Nine chocolate of Jack'nJill.


Definitely,I am on cloud nine. :)

2 comments:

  1. there is this creative side of you ehh. i remember your cdo bhaus, i loved those neatly covered boxes for your stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my way of keeping all my knickknacks in place and also to promote recycling. :) Thanks,Riz! :)

    ReplyDelete